Katie Girl Background

Monday, October 10, 2011

Because it was well built


I was so blessed to have been born into a strong Christian family. Both of my grandmothers were amazing prayer warriors and if I grow up to be even half the woman that they were, then I will be proud.  My grandmothers were actually friends before my parents even met.

Mabel Brady, Mam-Maw, My Paternal Grandmother

Lillie Hamaker, Granny, My Maternal Grandmother

Tonight I ran across my paternal grandmother’s journal that she kept while they were building their new house. The first page must have been written a few months or years before because it is her prayer that they will get to build a new house. The rest of the journal chronicles every move made from the groundwork to how she hung the curtains and arranged the furniture.



 “Dear Lord,
I want to that new house. If it’s your precious will for us to build it. Help us to accomplish it debt free. I have prayed for it and believe it’s your will for us. It’s our dream come true. We will dedicate it to you knowing it was your will for us to have it. I pray for some good years to live and enjoy it. My Jeff has worked so hard and has tried to be honest and put you first and give to you that which belongs to you and help other along the way. Bless him, but if it never comes true we will love you and live for you anyway. Bless our sons and their wives and children. May each one of them be saved and live for you. Thank you Dear Jesus for every blessing in our lives. We love you and our family, all our church family, our pastor and family. Keep them all safe and close to you.”




Mam-Maw only got to live in her new house for 2 ½ years, but she was so proud of it and thankful for it. They built the house in six months and finished it debt free. My Daddy spent every day for over six months at Mam-Maw and Pa’s working on the new house, except for days when “Tab had a ballgame today” or “Ran is taking a weekend off. They are going to Alabama for Geri’s Birthday.” (she was referring to my maternal grandmother) She was so thankful for his work on the house and for everyone else that helped out too. She would write down what she made them for supper and even what the temperature was that day. I miss her every day, but reading her words in her handwriting makes me feel closer to her.

She always took good care of her sick grandbabies! 

She wrote, "August 19...Tiff was sick with red throat today. Missed school, went to Nurse Med, got shot, stayed with me today." Then, I must have been very sick because she wrote, "August 20...Tiff still sick, goes to doctor has bronchitis, still coughs a lot. Is with me today." Now I'm thankful for those sick days when I got to spend extra time with her!

As a proud grandmother she made sure to write down all of the important things. haha (see highlighting) 
"Tiff won Spelling Bee in her Classroom"

I think her journal could be a step-by-step guide of how to build a home, literally and spiritually. Begin and end with God, but don't forget to put your hard work and effort into His plans. The last page of her journal says it all.



“This is Sunday, January 3rd. It’s so very cold today. We went to church this morn. About 19 degrees. As I wind this down, and finish this journal I am so very very thankful for the blessings this year. Thank you Dear Lord for letting us move in our new home. We owe it all to you. Amen.”


Mam-Maw enjoying Christmas in her new house!
As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete. Luke 6:47-49

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Having your mam-maws journal is so cool! How wonderful it is for you to have always had true Christian roll models in your life. And now you are sharing your life and relationship with God all over the world. God has big plans for you as I keep saying. It blesses my heart to see how you have grown in your walk with God. Praying our heavenly Father to give you comfort and strength as you are far from home. Bless you with favor in all your days and that all whom you meet would see God in you and the wonderful smart, loving, gifted young woman that you are. In that they would be blessed to have known you just as I am.
    love, Densie

    ReplyDelete